Wednesday, June 24, 2015

{REVIEW} Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier

Title: Ruby Red
Author: Kerstin Gier
Series: Precious Stony Trilogy
Book: 1
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Historical Fiction, Romance
Rating: ★★★

Blurb from Goodreads:

Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!


Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

My Reaction/Thoughts:

I thought this was a really fun book to read. It's fairly simple to read and easy to get into. At first it can be a bit slow, but that is too be expected because so much information is thrown at you and we are learning everything just as Gwen is learning (whilst annoyingly being kept in the dark!) But I had a lot of fun reading this. I didn't think I would just because I wasn't too sold on the whole concept of time-travel, but I have to admit that I am so interested and can't get enough of this story. I love that these books are translated from German as well. I don't think I really ever read a book that translated to English before? At least in Young Adult. So I just find that so fascinating!

The plot was really entertaining and I enjoyed myself. I started to feel badly for poor Gwen when everyone just kept putting her down all the time! It's not her fault she wasn't properly trained! No one can be as annoyingly perfect as the wretched Charlotte! I think Gwen did rather well considering she was learning how to talk and act in the eighteenth century in a matter of days! It definitely made me realize how much more work it would be to actually time travel. However, this book was so short! I felt like it went by so fast and so little happened and right as I was really getting into it IT ENDED!

And can we just talk about that epilogue?!
The romance: it's seriously lacking in this book. I know Gideon and Gwen just met a few days ago, but if I have to suffer through more scenes of Gideon with Charlotte I might scream. I can't stand it! I don't want it! Give me Gideon and Gwen now! Please!!

Overall, this book was a lot of fun. It was simple, quick, and quite entertaining. I can't wait to find out more about Lucy and Paul more about Gwen because questions! So many questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment