Thursday, August 6, 2015

{REVIEW} Crystal Kingdom by Amanda Hocking

Title: Crystal Kingdom
Author: Amanda Hocking
Series: The Kanin Chronicles
Book: 3
Genre: Young Adult, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance
Rating: ★★★★

Blurb from Goodreads:

Cast out by her kingdom and far from home, she's the Kanin people's only hope.

Bryn Aven - unjustly charged with murder and treason - is on the run. The one person who can help is her greatest enemy, the enigmatic Konstantin Black. Konstantin is her only ally against those who have taken over her kingdom and threaten to destroy everything she holds dear. But can she trust him?


As Bryn fights to clear her name, the Kanin rulers’ darkest secrets are coming to light… and now the entire troll world is on the brink of war. Will it tear Bryn from Ridley Dresden, the only guy she’s ever loved? And can she join forces with Finn Holmes and the Trylle kingdom? One thing is certain: an epic battle is underway—and when it’s complete, nothing will ever be the same…

My Reaction/Thoughts:

*sigh* I feel empty inside. Literally empty. Hocking as ripped out my very heart and stomped on it repeatedly. I am devastated. This book really took me for a ride. I had no idea how I should feel while reading it so I was all over the place! It was so good! So good so good!


Bryn. Oh Bryn. My heart goes out to this girl. She is fantastic. I love her so much for learning how to love and really let her defenses down. She's built some really great friendships with so many people and she loves so greatly. In the beginning, she cares so much for people, but she puts herself and her career ambitions first. In Crystal Kingdom, you can really see her understanding what it means to sacrifice and love. She loves greatly. She loves so many people that I really was terrified it was going to be her downfall in this book. All that foreshadowing really had me scared to read. She really grew into this bads$$ warrior! I am so glad that she finally got her dream come true in the end of this book because she definitely deserved it.

Ridley. Poor Ridley. His one and only weakness is Bryn and boy did he pay the price. It was so sad to see him tortured and put through so much pain because of his love for Bryn. He holds his own and wants nothing more than to keep her safe so it was really hard to see him so cold and distant. My heart was breaking for him. In the end, I am happy with his ending as well. I want nothing but happiness for this gorgeous man.

I know I didn't really talk much about Bryn's friends Ember (Finn's sister from the Trylle trilogy) and Tilda or her parents or Kasper because I really don't even know what to say without spoiling too much. But these characters were great. I absolutely adored Tilda and her strength. This woman took out an Omte while pregnant! She really is terrifying if you make her mad, so don't. Ember is a good secondary as well, even though I didn't really connect to her much. I think this series had a lot of good secondary characters and I hate that this is the last I will see them. *tears*

Now guys, if you've read my previous posts you know I am in love with Konstantin. This book made me fall even deeper. I didn't stand a chance. This man pushed me over the ledge and made me fall deeper. I honestly hate that we didn't see him more in Ice Kissed but the fact that he was in pretty much the whole of this book really made my heart happy. I loved him. I really enjoyed his teasing and flirting with Bryn (even though she is oblivious and I could shake her). I loved his subtle confessions of affection and gah I LOVE HIM!!

Team Ridley vs. Team Konstantin. Honestly, I don't really think there is much of a competition because Bryn is head over the hills 100% in love with Ridley (as she should be), but I am sorry but I just loved Konstantin so freaking much! I found myself completely switching teams throughout the entire book! Every scene Bryn was with Ridley, I loved her with Ridley, but then K would come in and then made me go back to him and apologize for ever forgetting him. I honestly don't know which was actually the better choice for her because we don't really see Bryn develop intense feelings for K. However, I definitely saw some affection for him. She was starting to notice how handsome he was and he would continuously leave her whole body blushing. So we may never know what would have happened between them because of spoilers, but I think...nope I am not saying it was for the best because in my heart I am still not over it and I will stomp my foot in protest because of that ending. I am not happy (maybe a little because of everything else, but still not happy!)!!

AGH. I guess everything ended right where things were supposed to and the kingdom showed much promise. I really did like the twists that this book revealed because I was shocked and then immediately felt dumb for not connecting dots sooner, but where is the fun in that?! Overall, this series was great. I loved it! I can't say I loved it more than the Trylle trilogy because Wendy and Loki were definitely fantastic. Loki is bae ♡♡♡♡

Read it? Read it!

Enjoy all my freakout moments and fangirling below (:

1 comment:

  1. I feel you! Oh gosh I love Hocking, but that ending was just gahhhh perfectly imperfect. I knew THAT was going to happen, but did it have to happen? Probably, I can't think of a better ending for the guy but come on! Oh, them feels <3

    ReplyDelete