Thursday, October 2, 2014

*REVIEW* Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Title: Gone Girl
Author: Gillian Flynn
Rating: ★★★★

Blurb from Goodreads:

On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?

My Rating/Thoughts: 

I picked up this book simply because the movie comes out this Friday and the needy "I have to read the book before the movie!" type booknerd that I am decided to give this a try. I didn't know what to expect because let's fact it, adult novels are just not my thing. I don't think they are terrible at all, I just don't feel as drawn to them. But I did, however, really enjoy this novel. I devoured it. I thought about it constantly every second I wasn't reading it because I JUST HAVE TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS! That being said, that ending left me with a million different types of disappointment. The whole book had this fast paced, mystery thriller thing going on that you couldn't put down so by the time I reached Part 3 "Boy Gets Girl Back (Or Vice Versa)" I just wanted to walk away. Now I still powered through it because I had hopes that I'd get the satisfying ending that I craved...but no dice. I am a little bummed. Okay, a lot bummed. I wanted a big YES! YES! YES! YOU GOT WHAT YOU DESERVED! moment and it just never came. But it was still a great read. I had fun reading it. I was completely engrossed with the story and I'd totally recommend it to anyone who hasn't already read the book. But I just wanted more. Can we have a sequel? *hopefully smiles* 

That being said, I enjoyed the characters in this book a lot. Flynn totally knows how to make you question everything and everyone and I found myself in a ping-pong match wondering who to trust. "Nick. No Amy. No Nick. What the heck is going on?!" and for that I really enjoyed it. It kept me on my toes. I just hated how the "I need everyone to love me" personality they both had. With Amy, it was to be expected because this chick was truly a sociopath and needed some major help! But with Nick? I don't know. I just needed him to get it together and do something! He wanted to please too many people to make sure he was the good guy. Come on, dude. You cheated. Your wife is missing and you have a creepy "I'm guilty" smile on your face. No one likes you right now. And let's talk about how many mistakes he made! Oh my God! The cell phone picture with Shawna? What are you thinking, Nick?! The drunken video interview in the bar? What?! Idiot move after idiot move. 

But like I said, it was a good read filled with many twists, turns, jaw dropping moments and confusion. Every time you think you figure out what's going to happen next *BAM* new twist. I loved it and for that I give it a solid four start rating. I can't give it anything higher because that ending has left me too disappointed. But alas, highly recommended! 

Now let's see how this movie is 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you liked the characters. I love books that can keep me at the edge of my seat, so I'll definitely be picking this one up.

    ReplyDelete