Saturday, January 3, 2015

{REVIEW} Love, Rosie by Cecelia Ahern

Title: Love, Rosie
Author: Cecelia Ahern
Rating: ★★★

Blurb from Goodreads:

The basis for the forthcoming motion picture starring Lily Collins and Sam Claflin!

What happens when two people who are meant to be together can't seem to get it right?

Rosie and Alex are destined for each other, and everyone seems to know it but them. Best friends since childhood, they are separated as teenagers when Alex and his family relocate from Dublin to Boston.


Like two ships always passing in the night, Rosie and Alex stay friends, and though years pass, the two remain firmly attached via emails and letters. Heartbroken, they learn to live without each other. But destiny is a funny thing, and in this novel o f several missed opportunities, Rosie and Alex learn that fate isn't quite done with them yet

My Rating/Thoughts:

“There aren’t many sure things in life, but one thing I know for sure is that you have to deal with the consequences of your actions. You have to follow through on some things.”

This book was kind of hard for me to rate because I didn't hate it, but I didn't particularly love it either. I just wanted a little bit more of an ending I guess and that effected my overall reaction. I read 400+ of this book and wanted a huge FINALLY-IT-TOOK-LONG-ENOUGH moment and I just didn't get that. It ended too abruptly for me to even SEE that moment ):

“You can run and run as fast and as far as you like, but the truth is, wherever you run, there you are.” 

Now put the ending aside, I actually think I did love this book. I love Rosie and Alex's relationship so much and shipped them so hard! We all knew they were going to get together in the end, but it was just a long and bumpy road to get them to finally admit it to not only each other but themselves! And boy did it take foreverrrrr! But their relationship was so great. I loved that it overcame years and distance and they were still the best of friends. That was truly inspiring in and of itself. Not to mention how adorable it was that Katie (Rosie's daughter) and Toby had a relationship parallel to Rosie and Alex.

“Twice we stood beside each other at the altar, Rosie. Twice. And twice we got it wrong. I needed you to be there for my wedding day but I was too stupid to see that I needed you to be the reason for my wedding day. But we got it all wrong.” 

I think the only major complaint and I know this was the whole point, but I didn't like how it was written all in email format or IMs. I enjoyed it at first, but then it started to get on my nerves because I wanted to see more scenes and we don't get to see any of them at all until Rosie or Alex talk about them with other people. Even then we don't get the full story. And way too much time passes. For example, one page Alex is emailing Rosie wishing her a happy 38th birthday, then two pages later he is emailing Katie about her mom's 40th birthday. What? Two pages and two years have already passed?! Other than that I liked it. I liked the themes about family, love, friendship, selflessness, and sacrifice. It was actually pretty touching.

No comments:

Post a Comment