Tuesday, January 6, 2015

{REVIEW} Whatever Life Throws at You by Julie Cross

Title: Whatever Life Throws at You
Author: Julie Cross
Rating: ★★★★★

Blurb from Goodreads:

Life loves a good curveball…

Seventeen-year-old Annie Lucas's life is completely upended the moment her dad returns to the major leagues as the new pitching coach for the Kansas City Royals. Now she's living in Missouri (too cold), attending an all-girls school (no boys), and navigating the strange world of professional sports. But Annie has dreams of her own—most of which involve placing first at every track meet…and one starring the Royals' super-hot rookie pitcher.

But nineteen-year-old Jason Brody is completely, utterly, and totally off-limits. Besides, her dad would kill them both several times over. Not to mention Brody has something of a past, and his fan club is filled with C-cupped models, not smart-mouthed high school “brats” who can run the pants off every player on the team. Annie has enough on her plate without taking their friendship to the next level. The last thing she should be doing is falling in love.

But baseball isn't just a game. It's life. And sometimes, it can break your heart…

My Rating/Thoughts:

Forbidden romance. Baseball. A hot pitcher. What's not to love? I was completely intrigued while reading the whole novel. And I also really enjoyed that this book was centered around baseball and the chapter headings were just adorable with the close up photo of a baseball. As well as the different division pages with "spring training" or "opening day" etc. indicating where in the season we are. I don't know what it is about baseball and pitchers but this is the second book and pitcher that I fell in love with (*sigh* Ryan Stone anyone?). I just didn't want it to end. I loved all the characters and the secondary characters as well. Again, another great book that has a great father-daughter relationship, it was so touching. Can I get a sequel please?

What I really liked about this book was that it wasn't really an instalove story either. I mean Annie and Brody are into each other, but you don't really know that and Brody felt the same way. We see their relationship grow from friends first and how much they begin to trust each other and feel like they are the only person who understands the other. I couldn't say how much I fell in love with Brody the second he came clean to Annie about his "fake relationships" with the girls for publicity and how she needs to trust him because he will be the first to tell her everything. Their relationship was just so good. It progressed wonderfully and I really respected how they communicated about important stuff. Plus, can it be anymore passionate? *swoon*

This book was filled with a nice amount of humor, had some great themes, characters, relationships, sports, heartbreak, tough decisions, and just a great story. I am so glad I picked this book up. I never read anything by Julie Cross before but I had a giftcard for Barnes & Noble that I got for Christmas and just saw it and picked it up because hey, I like baseball and hot guys, so why not? And I am just so glad I did. Another new book to add to my favorite contemporaries.

Would I recommend? Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment