Wednesday, December 31, 2014

{REVIEW} The Boyfriend Thief by Shana Norris

Title: The Boyfriend Thief
Author: Shana Norris
Rating: ★★★

Blurb from Goodreads:

1 ill-fated hot dog costume. 2 former BFFs. 11 days to seduce a boy.

Avery James doesn’t believe in romance—she’s studied enough biology to know that love is nothing more than hormones and chemicals. Besides, she has more practical goals in mind, namely saving up for a summer humanitarian program in Costa Rica. But when her Diggity Dog House supervisor denies her a raise and Avery finds herself $500 short for the trip of a lifetime, Avery has no choice but to accept an unexpected offer. The deal? She must steal her arch nemesis Hannah’s boyfriend before prom, giving Avery eleven days to seduce Zac Greeley.

Avery is sure the job will be easy. But a few midnight comedy shows and spontaneous dance parties (not to mention one particularly intimate carwash) later, Avery finds herself questioning everything she’s ever thought about love. Could Zac’s signature cherry-lime Slurpees be causing brain freeze, or is Avery actually starting to fall for him?


Will Avery be able to steal Zac away from Hannah before he steals Avery’s heart?

My Rating/Thoughts:

“The only person who can make you miserable is yourself, if you hold back because you’re too afraid of failure to take a chance.” 


This was a cute, easy read. I read a couple chapters every night and it was entertaining. It wasn't great by any means and Avery was such a goody goody that she drove me crazy 75% of the time, but I still really liked it. I think I loved this book simply because Zac was so gosh darn adorable. I loved the growing, slow and steady relationship between him and Avery and their end scene was just so adorable! This book had a good amount of character development for Avery, which is a nice present because let's be real...this girl was nuts. It's understandable that she has to be perfect all the time because in her eyes that's how she thinks she will good enough for anyone because her mother abandoned her family. This really messed with her and the whole book she just talks about wanting to go to Costa Rica to find her to maybe get some answers about why she left and why Avery just wasn't good enough to make her stay. It was quite sad, but then I hated how this attitude made her brother, father and even Zac feel. Avery would come off as a know it all and condescending so she just really bothered me. But in the end, she does an 180 and I loved it!

“Because you don’t just walk away from someone when things get tough,” Zac said. “You find a way to stick it out and figure out what’s gone wrong.” 

I think the only problem I had with this book was that the entire book Avery keeps talking about "that one night in eighth grade" over and over and over and over again that it was so frustrating she wouldn't say what happened! I think I built up this scenario in my head of some huge blow out that I was a little bummed about what really happened. I mean Elliot and Avery, even Hannah had hinted that if people knew the truth about who "Avery really was" or what type of person she was, people would hate her so I thought it would have been way bigger than what Avery actually did "that one night in eighth grade." Oh well. This is a young adult contemporary book so what do I expect right? LOL All in all, nice, okay read. I liked it, didn't love it.

Would I recommend? Eh, maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment