Monday, October 13, 2014

{REVIEW} The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Title: The Geography of You and Me
Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Rating: ★★★

Blurb from Goodreads:

Lucy and Owen meet somewhere between the tenth and eleventh floors of a New York City apartment building, on an elevator rendered useless by a citywide blackout. After they're rescued, they spend a single night together, wandering the darkened streets and marveling at the rare appearance of stars above Manhattan. But once the power is restored, so is reality. Lucy soon moves to Edinburgh with her parents, while Owen heads out west with his father.

Lucy and Owen's relationship plays out across the globe as they stay in touch through postcards, occasional e-mails, and -- finally -- a reunion in the city where they first met.

A carefully charted map of a long-distance relationship, Jennifer E. Smith's new novel shows that the center of the world isn't necessarily a place. It can be a person, too.

My Rating/Thoughts:

"You can't know the answer until you ask the question."

First of all, I enjoy Jennifer E. Smith. I like her writing and the way she ends her book with an open ending letting us readers to imagine how the couples ends up. But this book was just okay for me. I still enjoyed it, but I didn't really get as connected as I usually do for other books. I didn't need this couple to end up together, I wanted it, but I didn't need it. I guess I just thought it was going to be different. I thought that the whole book we were going to see how Owen and Lucy communicate with each other over the thousands of miles they spent apart and it was going to be adorable and I'd root for them, but this wasn't the case at all. In fact, they hardly communicated at all. Besides a few postcards with a sentence or two, these two didn't speak much and it was no wonder that when they met up in San Francisco it was so awkward. I didn't like how Lucy would send Owen e-mails, long e-mails at that, and Owen would say that he never responded because he simply didn't know how. I think that's just rude. Instead he just blew her off because that wasn't his thing? Then he begins "seeing" a girl when he and his dad move to Lake Tahoe, but it's no big deal. But! the second Lucy says she has a boyfriend as well, he gets jealous and upset and they get into a fight! Excuse you, why was it okay for you to be with Paisley and it's no big deal, but it's not okay for Lucy to actually be with someone too? This fight ends up leaving the couple not even speaking for months! I didn't like that. I ended up just not caring and wondering where this was even going. It was just boring and nothing was happening. In the end, I liked how it all came together, but I felt like there was a whole lot of nothing in this book. It was a little frustrating to me.

"When there was nothing but space between you, everything felt like a leap."

Would I recommend? Hmm...maybe if this is your type of read, but it's not fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment