Saturday, August 8, 2015

{REVIEW} The Wrath & The Dawn by Renee Ahdieh

Title: The Wrath & The Dawn
Author: Renee Ahdieh
Series: The Wrath & The Dawn
Book: 1
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Retellings,
Rating: ★★★★★

Blurb from Goodreads:

A sumptuous and epically told love story inspired by A Thousand and One Nights

Every dawn brings horror to a different family in a land ruled by a killer. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, takes a new bride each night only to have her executed at sunrise. So it is a suspicious surprise when sixteen-year-old Shahrzad volunteers to marry Khalid. But she does so with a clever plan to stay alive and exact revenge on the Caliph for the murder of her best friend and countless other girls. Shazi's wit and will, indeed, get her through to the dawn that no others have seen, but with a catch . . . she’s falling in love with the very boy who killed her dearest friend.


She discovers that the murderous boy-king is not all that he seems and neither are the deaths of so many girls. Shazi is determined to uncover the reason for the murders and to break the cycle once and for all.

My Reaction/Thoughts:

“Some things exist in our lives for but a brief moment. And we must let them go on to light another sky.” 

First of all, THAT ENDING KILLED ME.
Second of all, THIS BOOK KILLED ME.

I am honestly in shock that this a debut novel because of its pure perfection. I have not read a book that I have fall so immensely in love  and I am so glad I read this. This was phenomenal. I am in awe.

First of all, Ahdieh's writing is beyond words. The way she writes is with such ease and it flows like poetry. I was completely captivated by her words and her story. I seriously could not put this book down, nor did I want it to end. I just finished and I can already feel a book hangover coming until I get the sequel into my hands.

“She was a dangerous, dangerous girl. A plague. A Mountain of Adamant who tore the iron from ships, sinking them to their watery graves without a second thought. With a mere smile and a wrinkle of her nose.” 

What I really enjoyed about this book was the retelling of A Thousand  and One Nights. I have never heard of this story before but I was intrigued when I found out this was a retelling so I immediately how to do research before reading this book and I have to tell you, the way Ahdieh incorporates this story with the tale is just fantastic. I absolutely loved it. I was so enthrawed within the stories Shazi told Khalid and every story inside the novel in general. I felt like I was there. I could see everything so clearly and felt everything down to my toes. If that's not amazing writing then I don't know what is. Her world is absolutely gorgeous and captivating. I enjoyed this world and look forward to learn more about Khorasan and the magic within.

“So you would have me throw Shazi to the wolves?”
“Shazi?” Jalal’s grin widened. “Honestly, I pity the wolves.” 

Shahrzad was definitely my favorite character, aside from Khalid obviously, because of her "silve tongue" and strength. She was not afraid to speak her mind and would not bow down to anyone. She is determine to exact revenge on the one who killed her best friend but as her defenses are taken down she sees that Khalid is not all that he appears to be. She loves to deeply and it's what makes this love story between these two so epic

“It’s a fitting punishment for a monster. to want something so much—to hold it in your arms — and know beyond a doubt you will never deserve it.” 

On the other hand, Khalid was the epitome of perfection. I love him. He is ridden by his guilt and he holds the entire kingdom on his shoulders. He is the Caliph of Khorasan and just trying to do what he has to for his people, though with twisted and haunting consequences. He is so guarded and closed off that you just want to give this guy a hug which makes it more refreshing when you see Shazi finally get passed his closed doors. Seriously, this man is beautiful. His heart is beautiful and I just love him to pieces. He just earned himself a spot on my book boyfriend list, if not the book boyfriend. We all know that I have a weakness for royalty so...

“What are you doing to me, you plague of a girl?” he whispered.
“If I’m a plague, then you should keep your distance, unless you plan on being destroyed.” The weapons still in her grasp, she shoved against his chest.
“No.” His hands dropped to her waist. “Destroy me.” 

This book also has some great friendships. I loved Shazi's growing friendship with Despina (who is also a fantastic female character) and Jalal. Jalal also has an interesting relationship with Khalid because they are cousins and it's so sad to see Jalal try to get Khalid to open up to him even though he resists so greatly. I can't wait to see their relationship grow stronger as well.

Overall, this book was amazing. I am already looking forward to reading it again! I think it's definitely my new favorite book of 2015.

Enjoy my fangirling below ♡

1 comment:

  1. OMG. I never have heard of this book but your review has me so wanting to read this.
    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete