Wednesday, August 12, 2015

{REVIEW} Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Title: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Author: J.K. Rowling
Series: Harry Potter
Book: 1
Genre: Middle Grade, Fantasy, Young Adult Fantasy
Rating: ★★★★★

Blurb from Goodreads:

Harry Potter thinks he is an ordinary boy. He lives with his Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia and cousin Dudley, who are mean to him and make him sleep in a cupboard under the stairs. (Dudley, however, has two bedrooms, one to sleep in and one for all his toys and games.) Then Harry starts receiving mysterious letters and his life is changed forever. He is whisked away by a beetle-eyed giant of a man and enrolled at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The reason: Harry Potter is a wizard! The first book in the "Harry Potter" series makes the perfect introduction to the world of Hogwarts.

My Reaction/Thoughts:

I am so proud that I have finally read a Harry Potter book. Yes, this is my first time reading Harry Potter and I am only 18 years late, but never late than never right? Now that I probably have caused you all to have a heart attack I will say that I tried to read Harry Potter when I was a kid. My dad bought me this very book when it was first published and I read a few chapters, but just didn't get into it for whatever reason. I don't know, I was a kid. However, I have seen all the movies and was a huge fan. That was the number one reason why I didn't want to read the books. I had already saw the movies and knew what was going to happen so the suspense would not be present and I though it would take away the enjoyment. But now that I am a better reader and I thought I'd appreciate it a bit more I decided to give it a try. It was time. And I have to say that I LOVED IT! I absolutely loved it! I am so sad that I didn't just give these a try ages ago, but better late than never!

“The truth." Dumbledore sighed. "It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution.” 

The writing was fantastic and so memorable. I loved the writing style and was easily drawn into this world. I could envision everything I read with ease and was surprised at how snarky Rowling's writing actually was. She constantly had me laughing from just the tiniest silly sentences and I loved it. I can definitely see why she is everyone's favorite author. She is well deserving.

“It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.” 

What I loved most about the book was the characters. Every single character brings so much to the story. Harry is only eleven years old and is already a brave, strong character. He is is truly remarkable. Ron is funny, witty and  a great friend to Harry. Hermoine is smart and clever and even Neville is adorable. Even all the professors are such strong characters and I find that really refreshing for a series that has so many characters. You often forget about many people with there is such a huge cast, but Rowling really makes everyone stand out. But, I think I have to say Fred and George are definitely my favorite pair.

“You haven't got a letter on yours," George observed. "I suppose she thinks you don't forget your name. But we're not stupid-we know we're called Gred and Forge.” 

“Now, you two – this year, you behave yourselves. If I get one more owl telling me you've – you've blown up a toilet or –"
"Blown up a toilet? We've never blown up a toilet."

"Great idea though, thanks, Mum.” 

I cannot wait to read more of the series. Although, it may take me a while because I am slowly trying to find the collection in my bargain bookstores so I only have two at the most. *tears*
Never fear! I will read the whole series!

And I can now proudly say...I understand Quidditch!

Now I shall leave you while I go cry that I never received my letter from Hogwarts!

No comments:

Post a Comment