Thursday, August 6, 2015

{REVIEW} Frostfire by Amanda Hocking

Title: Frostfire
Author: Amanda Hocking
Series: The Kanin Chronicles
Book: 1
Genre: Young Adult, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance
Rating: ★★★★

Blurb from Goodreads:

Bryn Aven is an outcast among the Kanin, the most powerful of the troll tribes.

Set apart by her heritage and her past, Bryn is a tracker who's determined to become a respected part of her world. She has just one goal: become a member of the elite King’s Guard to protect the royal family. She's not going to let anything stand in her way, not even a forbidden romance with her boss Ridley Dresden.


But all her plans for the future are put on hold when Konstantin– a fallen hero she once loved – begins kidnapping changelings. Bryn is sent in to help stop him, but will she lose her heart in the process?

My Reaction/Thoughts:

Set in the world of the Trylle (Hocking's previous series), Hocking brings us the Kanin! I was so excited to read these books. In fact, Frostfire was one of my most anticipated reads of the year. I mean look at that cover! Is it not gorgeous?!

In Frostfire, we meet Bryn Aven. Bryn was such a great character to read. She was strong and determined, she's loyal, sarcastic at times, and so protective of her family and friends. I think that's what I loved most about her, her dedication. She was driven by her feeling of as an outsider to prove that she belonged to the Kanin tribe and the Hogdragen. Although Bryn can come off as a little know-it-all.

Another character I loved was Ridley Dresden. This mad was so cute and the chemistry just peels off the page when he and Bryn were together. You couldn't help but ship them because he was exactly what Bryn needed in her life. He knew how to talk to her, to help her see reason. He put perspective into her head and really understood her. I absolutely loved him.

However, there is one man who stole the show for me and his name was Konstantin Black. This man is just uber gorgeous, sexy, and I LOVED HIM! Not much was said about him besides that he was the most wanted man in the Kanin community and that he's been on the run for the past four years, but I think that's what made me loved him, his mystery. I wanted to know more. I craved to know more. I needed more! And it doesn't hurt that Amanda Hocking pictures Kit Harrington as Konstantin because if you know me you know I LOVE Kit Harrington!  I don't know what it was when I first read his encounter with Bryn, but I ship him so hard with Bryn. Their scenes together were so intense and had such chemistry it was distracting. I ship it! NO REGRETS.

As for the plot, it moved rather steadily. We follow Bryn as she begins to uncover secrets about her tribe and the Skojare. This book had a nice setup for the coming books and even though not a whole lot happened, it was still entertaining. The writing is simple to follow, easy, fun, and great. If you've read the Trylle trilogy, you must read these books.


No comments:

Post a Comment