Saturday, July 11, 2015

{REVIEW} HEX: Saxton Academy by Mackenzie McGuire

Title: HEX
Author: Mackenzie L. McGuire
Series: Saxton Academy Series
Book: 1
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Fantasy
Rating: ★★★★

Blurb from Goodreads:

I’m Reece. A month ago I died along with my two best friends in a car crash. Obviously, my death didn't last long. Since then, I hear voices and the nightmares – don’t even get me started. I just wanted to be normal. That meant leaving my lux L.A. life for the gothic, and icy, Saxton Academy in the mountains of Vermont. Away from the tabloids, I had a plan to get my life together. But that just isn't possible. Thanks to hotties Eli McKinnon and Carden McDowell I discovered my life is a lie. They want to help me reach my potential. I just want to be a regular girl. But darkness is coming, and if I want to stay alive, I may not have a choice.

My Reaction/Thoughts:

*I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange of a review*

HOLY GUACAMOLE!

This book was fantastic! It is marked as a lighter YA novel with old school YA tones and I have to say that is 100% accurate. It was very reminiscent of some of the first YA novels that turned me onto avid reading and I was feeling a little nostalgic. I absolutely loved it. HEX is a light, easy, fun read and I enjoyed myself. I could not put it down. I found myself flying threw the pages in desperate need to find out what would happen next. This book leaves off with a load of unanswered questions, but it also leaves open a door for a great series to come. It has great potential and I cannot wait to read more!

What I really enjoyed were the characters. They were all unique in their own way and I loved each and every one of them. I found Reece's voice to be quite entertaining. I loved her wit and sarcasm. I felt like she was easy to relate to and her little snarky comments were a riot to read. I was amazed by her strength and her willingness to move forward. She went through a huge tragedy, but yet was determined to put her life back together and just be a normal teenage girl. The fact that she was able to make light of situations and just be spunky was refreshing. She doesn't just mope around and pity herself or her life like so many other female characters do in other YA novels. She uses her friends to find strength. This is important for her. She wants to belong. She needs to belong.

Speaking of friends, how fabulous is Tuesday?! This girl is the very picture of a girl that you want as your best friend. She is just as spunky as Reece, but she's so much more. She is smart, she is kind, she is loyal, and kind of a genius. Who else can write their own video game code right at the cafe lunch table?

As for the boys...well hot dang. Those boys were flawless. I don't think it's very fair to give us two boys to swoon over, but I'll take it!

Carden McDowell is such a cute teddy bear that I wanted to squeeze every time I was scared. I loved how he was always there to comfort Reece. I can't wait to see more of Carden in the future because I definitely didn't get enough!

Eli McKinnon, oh boy.
This boy is gorgeous, caring, loving, protective, and all around swoon-worthy. I absolutely loved him!

As for the romance, I felt it moved rather quickly. However, the fact that their magic energies are what connects them is really interesting so I am just rolling with it. I think that makes it a little bit more exciting and it will be interesting to see how this progresses. Or maybe what trouble it may cause for the coven, who knows?

The magic was very easy to understand in this book. It wasn't overly complicated and I was able to follow along perfectly. I really liked that because it didn't take me out of the novel. I felt like I was learning everything just as Reece was. I would have liked to see more of the magic aspect and learn what everyone can really do with their individual gifts, but I suspect that to come in the future.

Overall, I am so glad I read this novel. The writing flowed effortlessly and made the world building quite easy to understand. It was fast, it was fun, it was easy and I can't wait to read more.

If you're looking for fun, light paranormal read, this book is 100% for you.

Thank you so much Mackenzie McGuire for this opportunity and look forward to reading more of your work in the future! ♥



You can purchase your copy of HEX: Saxton Academy at here:
[Kindle eBook] [Amazon]

No comments:

Post a Comment