Thursday, June 4, 2015

{REVIEW} Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater

Title: Blue Lily, Lily Blue
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Series: The Raven Cycle
Book: 3
Genre: Young Adult, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal
Rating: ★★★★

Blurb from Goodreads:

There is danger in dreaming. But there is even more danger in waking up.

Blue Sargent has found things. For the first time in her life, she has friends she can trust, a group to which she can belong. The Raven Boys have taken her in as one of their own. Their problems have become hers, and her problems have become theirs.

The trick with found things though, is how easily they can be lost.

Friends can betray.
Mothers can disappear.
Visions can mislead.

Certainties can unravel.

My Reaction/Thoughts:

I didn't think it was possible to have an even more beautiful cover, but behold Blue Lily, Lily Blue!

This was was easier for me to read and I don't exactly know why. I didn't find myself skimming and wanting to rush the book because I was actually invested and looking forward to reading it. Something just finally clicked I suppose. However, the writing! Gah I am still not a fan and I have just come to the conclusion that I never will be. I love the plot and the characters, but I just can't get into the writing. Stiefvater has a verbose style and it takes me out of the story sometimes. For example:
Blue was glad that it was dead and then felt bad that she felt glad that it was dead.
 Way too many words and repetitive. I just don't care for it. She does this frequently throughout the book and it can be simplified. But, I pushed through and I glad I did because the plots are really what is carrying me forward. They are unique and so interesting.

Blue was still a little sassy lily and I loved her.
Ronan was a sarcastic little jerk and I fell in love with him even more.
Gansey is so adorable and I just want to hug him tight.
Adam...I still sometimes want to slap sometimes, but this book it decreased to 40% of the time. Progress!

Gansey and Blue need to happen like, yesterday.
Ronan and Adam: I ship it.


I just loved the little hand touching between Gansey and Blue when no was looking. Oh! And their late night phone calls to talk about the most random things. Or the way Gansey would stay awake just to hear Blue talk to him. ♥♥♥
Even Ronan and Adam had some simple, but sweet moments that had me giggling. It's so sweet how Adam is aware of Ronan's crush on him and it makes him see how he is worthy of someone wanting him, and not just anyone...Ronan Lynch. I want them. I need it. Ronan is seriously the best character and I love his sass.

“I’m going in,” Gansey said as Ronan sat down on the step beside Adam. As Gansey shut the door behind him, he heard Adam say, “I don’t want to talk,” and Ronan reply, “The fuck would I talk about?” 

Oh! Oh! And Mr. Gray! Oh Mr. Gray! He is so in love with Maura and adorable. I loved how he just made himself comfortable being around 300 Fox Way (speaking of, I hate how frequently Stiefvater says 300 Fox Way. Can't we just say Blue's house? Or home?) I love how comfortable Blue feels around him and has grown attached to him. Especially at the end when they were in that cavern. Awe!

I cannot wait to read the last book because we have so much hype between these three books focusing on finding Glendower and now we have to finally find him! It's been a rough journey, but we are getting there! I cannot wait! We got so close and still have to wait another book! Gah!

And can we talk about that CLIFFHANGER! WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT?!
 I NEED ANSWERS! I NEED THE RAVEN KING NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment