Saturday, September 27, 2014

*REVIEW* Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill

Title: Meant to Be
Author: Lauren Morrill
Rating: ★★ 1/2

Blurb from Goodreads: 

Meant to be or not meant to be . . . that is the question. 

It's one thing to fall head over heels into a puddle of hazelnut coffee, and quite another to fall for the—gasp—wrong guy. Straight-A junior Julia may be accident prone, but she's queen of following rules and being prepared. That's why she keeps a pencil sharpener in her purse and a pocket Shakespeare in her, well, pocket. And that's also why she's chosen Mark Bixford, her childhood crush, as her MTB ("meant to be").


But this spring break, Julia's rules are about to get defenestrated (SAT word: to be thrown from a window) when she's partnered with her personal nemesis, class-clown Jason, on a school trip to London. After one wild party, Julia starts receiving romantic texts . . . from an unknown number! Jason promises to help discover the identity of her mysterious new suitor if she agrees to break a few rules along the way. And thus begins a wild goose chase through London, leading Julia closer and closer to the biggest surprise of all: true love.

My Rating/Thoughts:  

I really wanted to like this book. I really, really did. I thought the story line sounded so cute and just wanted to get lost in a sappy, love story set in London! However, the opposite happened. I didn't hate this book per se, but I didn't like it either. I couldn't get into it because the narrator Julia was just so pompous, superficial, and condescending! I could not stand her! I hated the way she talked to everyone like she was better than they were because she was smart or knew the most boring facts to sound impressive when in fact it just made her sound condescending. She was a boring character and I couldn't stand how clumsy she was! It wasn't the type of clumsy that is meant to be cute either, it's the type of clumsy that just makes you roll your eyes behind your heard. This girl could trip into someone by simply just standing there! And I hated the way she talked to and treated Jason. This guy was just trying to have a good time and be "friends" with her, but she was constantly being a little snob. When he pulls out a guitar and begins singing to her the first thought she has is she wished he wouldn't because she hates when people cover songs. In fact, she feels embarrassed for them and this is why she hates watching American Idol because the people covering songs shouldn't do it because it "ruins the songs." *Gag* how stuck up can she be? 

Now speaking of Jason, I actually liked him. I have read reviews where people thought he was just too immature and acted like a clown, but that's his character! And to be honest, this is exactly how high school guys act! They act like fools. I don't know how many field trips I went on when all the guys act exactly like this. Not all guys are the perfect swoonable guys we read about in books. Jason was realistic and I still liked him. His feelings for Julia changed how he acted around her and he felt comfortable around her. I genuinely liked him and I was rooting for him to get her to stop acting like a little brat. Plus, he was one of two people that actually called her out and gave her the wake up call she needed about her so called "MTB" as well as telling her she's just as shallow as the girls she claims she hates! Good for Jason! 

Now speaking of "MTB" Julia spends the entire book pining over this guy Mark she knew when she was a kid, but hadn't talked to since?! Are you kidding me? He's the most perfect guy and she hasn't even talked to him? Who does that? Who blows off everyone else for someone who you don't even talk to? Julia literally compares everyone to Mark and it's a little ridiculous because it just makes her so delusional.

Overall, this book was "meh." I was hoping for more and wanted more cutesy love scenes, but oh well I guess. (: 

No comments:

Post a Comment