Friday, September 19, 2014

*REVIEW* The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

Title: The 5th Wave
Author: Rick Yancey
Series: The 5th Wave
Book: 1
Rating: ★★★★ 1/2

Blurb from Goodreads:

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it's the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth's last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker.

Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie's only hope for rescuing her brother--or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

My Rating/Thoughts

Wow. This book has left me speechless. I debated with myself for a long time if I should even pick this up and finally decided that I should just give it a try. If I didn't like it, no harm no foul. And boy, am I glad I did! Now this book took me awhile to get used to. To say I was confused was an understatement. I found myself reading pages over just to fully understand what was really going on. I felt like I must have been so stupid to not pick it up quicker, but I wanted to make sure I understood everything. So as a result, I felt like I was reading this book rather slowly. But once I got the feel of the book everything clicked into place perfectly. 

"We're here, and then we're gone, and it's not about the time we're here, but what we do with the time." 

The story and plot was what I actually liked the most. I was very skeptical at first because I do not read any sci-fi novels or anything that has to do with aliens or alien invasions. Like at all. In fact, I hate sci-fi. It's just not my thing. But this book was! I loved the story and the pacing worked great. I didn't feel like it went too fast or too slow. I know there has been many who said this book takes a while to get into because the beginning is very slow, but I didn't get that impression at all. I even enjoyed reading the multiple POVs, which is surprising considering I hate alternating POVs (unless they are done right). In this case, they were done completely right. I enjoyed reading from Cassie the most because I just loved her thoughts and humor. However, I also loved, loved Ben's POV as well. He had the same sense of humor and spunk as Cassie did so it was easy to love his character and thoughts as well. I found myself always getting comfortable with one character and once things got really intense the POV would change. I'd be thinking "No! Go back to Cassie!" or "Go back to Ben!" But it still worked marvelously and would get sucked right in again. 

Now let's get into the characters. I don't think there was a character in this book that I didn't like.Obviously aside from Vosch, even though we didn't see too much of him the fact that he is the villain and the cause of all this? He sucks. Plain and simple. 

Cassie though...Cassie is great. She is so protective of her brother and she would stop at nothing to go back and save him. She refused to give up even when it seemed impossible to come out on top. I liked how skeptical she was of everyone and anything and I completely agree with her. She was running from Silencers, Aliens and humans who probably won't trust you anyway. Do you really blame her? I'd doubt everyone as well. In fact, I did! I did not trust a single person every time we saw a new character. 

"Because if I am the last one, then I am humanity. And if this is humanity's last war, then I am the battlefield." 

Zombie! Now Ben Parish was one of my favorites as well. I was not expecting to get a POV from him at all. I thought Cassie just mentioning him was because she had a crush on him. I suspected we would see him again, but a POV? SWEET! I loooooove how protective he gets over Sams though! It truly hit me in the gut with the feels how responsible and protective he was over him. 

"If anyone comes between you and me, they're dead." 

Now Evan Walker. How much I loved you with all my heart! You don't want to trust Evan at all, but you can't help it! He's protecting you, he's taking care of you, he's handsome, his hands are soft, and he smells like chocolate. *Sigh* Now I was skeptical of him the entire time right along with Cassie. I just knew something wasn't right. I knew it the entire time! I had my doubts and my hopes that this wouldn't end badly, but you can't help but love him all the same! In fact, everything he does and gives up for Cassie just makes you love him even more! 

"I didn't save you. You saved me"

Overall, I loved this book. I thought it was a little funny to me because about halfway through I felt like so much happened, yet nothing at all at the same time. But I thought it was wonderful and that means a lot coming from someone who has read absolutely nothing involving aliens or anything sci-fi at all! So I am definitely looking forward to get my hands on The Infinite Sea because with an ending like that?! Uh uh! Nooooooooo way! We cannot just leave it like that! What the heck?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment