Thursday, October 23, 2014

{REVIEW} Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Origin
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: Lux
Book: 4
Rating: ★★★★★

Blurb from Goodreads:
Daemon will do anything to get Katy back.

After the successful but disastrous raid on Mount Weather, he’s facing the impossible. Katy is gone. Taken. Everything becomes about finding her. Taking out anyone who stands in his way? Done. Burning down the whole world to save her? Gladly. Exposing his alien race to the world? With pleasure.

All Katy can do is survive.

Surrounded by enemies, the only way she can come out of this is to adapt. After all, there are sides of Daedalus that don’t seem entirely crazy, but the group’s goals are frightening and the truths they speak even more disturbing. Who are the real bad guys? Daedalus? Mankind? Or the Luxen?

Together, they can face anything.

But the most dangerous foe has been there all along, and when the truths are exposed and the lies come crumbling down, which side will Daemon and Katy be standing on?


And will they even be together?

My Rating/Thoughts:
 "Holy crap on a cracker..."

That pretty much sums this book up perfectly. I have read and heard from several people that this book is the best in the series and I can definitely see why! This book had even more twists and turns that it had my heart racing the whole time! I am left in awe. I am blown away. My mind is blown!
Packed with even more heart racing action, betrayal, steamy hot romance, and loss, this book really lived up to the hype. It also pains me that we see the loss of three more characters! Dang these people started dropping like flies. I never, ever expected that.

So after their successful break in into Daedalus to save Beth, Daemon and Katy are once again betrayed by Blake. But Katy is captured by Daedalus and this was the major cliffhanger that left me terrified for what this book would bring. I knew Origin introduced dual POVs and I hated that. I had when series switch POVs in the middle of a series. If you want to do multiple POVs, start off that way. I don't enjoy getting used to reading books one way and then it switches up on me. But with this switch, I have to saw I loved it. I loved reading from Daemon's perspective because we get to see more into his character than what Katy sees. We see how much he does truly love Katy, how far he would go to save her, and how far his awesomeness goes.

"Did you think you could stop me? I'll burn the world down to save her."

I am still in awe of how completely awesome Daemon is. He is one of the most powerful Luxen and I was floored every time you see him in battle-beast mode. This guy is jaw dropping! The lengths he went to save Kat and be with her was so beautiful. He basically made himself get captured on purpose so they'd take him to Daedalus just so he could be with her and find a way to escape. He is so protective of her that it is beautiful. He vows to kill every person that ever makes even the smallest bruise on Kat and there is limit to his love for her. He is completely in love with her that it makes you tear up every time he finally says those three little words to her (which is such a huge deal to him).

“Daemon Black could be as prickly as a hedgehog having a really bad day, but underneath all that spindly armor, he was sweet, protective, and incredibly selfless.”  

And what about that Vegas scene?! MY LITTLE SHIPPER HEART IS OVERJOYED DANCING ON RAINBOWS AND GUMDROPS! *sighs*

“I want a years-worth of seconds and minutes with you. I want a decade's worth of hours, so many that I can't add them up.”

Katy as always was fierce. I can't believe that she was the one to make Blake eat his comeuppance pie!  That little turd deserved Katy to get all nuclear Terminator on him. The fact that he was working with Daedalus and they were forcing her into some crazy "Hunger Games for alien hybrids" was insane. No matter how long Katy refused to fight and give in to what they wanted for her, in the end she had to do what they wanted. They finally let her take her chance at Blake and it was so epic. I was shocked with how powerful Katy has gotten. I felt just as badly as she did, don't get me wrong, I have a heart afterall, but I still enjoyed it too. But you can't help but feel terrible as well for all the killings and the blood on Katy's hands because she feels regret so strongly. She never wanted to do any of this. She clings to Old Katy and you mourn for her just as Katy does.

“While you’re deep in something, you never say or do what you need to. It’s always after the fact, when it’s too late, that you realize what you should’ve said or done.”

I think this book also made me love Luc even more. Luc is a 15 year old mafia inspired kid who I just fell in love with. This kid is sarcastic and matches Daemon's personality perfectly. An unlikely alliance, but one we can actually trust. Now we actually learn a little more about Luc in Origin and why he has those shocking amethyst eyes. Turns out Luc is what Daedalus calls an origin. He is the offspring of a Luxen male and hybrid female and he can wreak havoc at any given moment so don't piss him off!

Speaking of Daedalus, this place is all kinds of psycho. Their whole organization is testing hybrids for "stability" by making them fight and kill each other. They are basically trying to breed more origins between the Luxen and their mutated hybrids, not to mention injecting humans and hybrids with what they call LH-11? What the hell is up with that? I am glad we got to see more into this cracked out organization, but they have some serious mental problems. It terrifies me that they have hundreds of these all powerful origins all holed up in one building ready to "come out and play" *shivers* But I can't wait to see their whole department get blown to the next galaxy. I wonder if that is what the general endgame is for the DOD in the next book? Who knows?

Oh but we finally discovered who betrayed Dawson and Beth to the DOD...
We find out because he was betraying Katy and Daemon to the DOD now as well!
You just can't trust anyone. I was so upset too because I thought things were turning around but I knew I should listen to my gut! I knew there was just something about him since Obsidian. *sigh* Oh well. Dawson made him pay. Dawson was pretty awesome in this book as well. He is like Daemon #2.

And that ending?! Oh. My. God.
"Oh shit. ET so phoned home, kids.” 

So overall, I loved this book. I am still floored with everything that happened. I can't wait to start the last and final book in this series. I am a little depressed now that I realized I only have one more left. This has quickly became one of my absolute favorite series and I am glad that I waited to marathon them. I love JLA's writing style. I love how she mixes in humor even when the situations are too dire. Her characters are all likable and I am now a big JLA fan. This woman seriously knows how to write. She makes the most silly, simple sentences make me burst into laughter because sometimes they are just so random. I love her and these books so much I am never letting them leave my heart.

Would I recommend? Absolutely.

No comments:

Post a Comment