Thursday, December 4, 2014

{REVIEW} Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

Title: Pushing the Limits
Author: Katie McGarry
Series: Pushing the Limits
Book: 1
Rating: ★★★★

Blurb from Goodreads:

So wrong for each other …and yet so right.

No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal.

But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.


Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.

My Rating/Thoughts:

“Because growing up means making tough choices, and doing the right thing doesn't necessarily mean doing the thing that feels good.” 

I have seen this book all over Instagram with people raving about how amazing this book was. While it was a great read and compelling, I just thought it was really good. Maybe the over hype set some high standards. But it was still really good and I am glad I read it.  I think because the whole book is focused on Echo trying to remember her repressed memories of the night she got her gruesome scars and when she finally remembered it was a little predictable to me. It wasn't some big unveiling of what happened. However, I think the story and the characters were great. Echo lost her brother and his death haunts her every single day and her mother is bipolar. These two factors have truly scarred her in and of themselves. What I really enjoyed though was actually her relationship with her father. At first he is truly distant and controlling, but then we see that he is actually just afraid and doesn't know how to act around her. When he sees her all he sees is regret and the mistake that he made that awful night that he let her down. I really enjoyed that that they were able to fix their relationship because she really needed her family.

“If you’re scared, tell me. If you need to cry and scream, then do it. And you sure as hell don’t walk away from us because you think it would be better for me. Here’s the reality, Echo: I want to be by your side. If you want to go to the mall stark naked so you can show the world your scars, then let me hold your hand. If you want to see your mom, then tell me that too. I may not always understand, but damn, baby, I’ll try.” 

Noah, I think, was my absolute favorite. This guy was so full of passion and  love for his brothers that it drives his very being. I loved every scene he had with his brothers because it was so heart warming and I actually cried multiple times because it was just so adorable. What was most touching was that he realizes that he wasn't allowing himself to really love Echo because he felt like he was betraying his parents and brothers, but I was so thrilled when he realized that he can love them both and have everything he wanted! He was always there for Echo when she needed him and I just loved him! Who doesn't want a sweet, loving, protective, bad boy by their side? I know I do!

This book was filled with some amazing secondary characters as well. Echo and Noah have the  best friends I have seen in awhile. I think Isaiah is my favorite and because he gets his own story in Crash into You, I will just have to read it even though I wasn't originally planning it. And it was really refreshing that this novel was actually pretty dark. When you really look into it, this book is dark. These two characters are battling their darkest demons and trying to make their brightest future. I really enjoyed myself reading this. And I definitely recommend this to anyone who needs a good, touching contemporary that deals with some tough decisions with a great love story.

Would I recommend? Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment