Tuesday, November 25, 2014

{REVIEW} To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

Title: To All The Boys I've Loved Before
Author: Jenny Han
Series: To All the Boys I've Loved Before
Book: 1
Rating: ★★★★ 1/2

Blurb from Goodreads:

Lara Jean keeps her love letters in a hatbox her mother gave her.

They aren't love letters that anyone else wrote for her, these are ones she's written. One for every boy she's ever loved—five in all. When she writes, she can pour out her heart and soul and say all the things she would never say in real life, because her letters are for her eyes only. Until the day her secret letters are mailed, and suddenly Lara Jean's love life goes from imaginary to out of control.

My Rating/Thoughts:

“Love is scary: it changes; it can go away. That's the part of the risk. I don't want to be scared anymore.” 

This was a fun, fast, easy, and cute read. I genuinely enjoyed it. I haven't read anything by Jenny Han before so I didn't know what to expect considering everyone was raving about this book so I was a little worried I hyped this book up in my head, but it did not disappoint. The writing is great and filled with so many relatable feelings. The plot was simple, yet very interesting and compelling. Lara Jean is a likable character (though all the characters are so likable). To me, she was a bit relatable. She cares about her family with all her heart and she lives to please and make sure they are taken care of once her sister Margot goes off to college in Scotland. I loved the male characters in this book as well so much that I just didn't know who I loved more at first. I still don't. But I think I am definitely Team Peter.

“You'd rather make up a fantasy version of somebody in your head than be with a real person.”

Peter was such a great character! He was funny and sweet and just all around great. I loved the way he acted with Kitty. I thought he was a great boyfriend to Lara Jean even if it was "pretend' but let's be real..this kid was in love the whole entire time no matter what he says. He was so honest and straight with Lara Jean about everything and it was refreshing. She could be herself with him and just enjoy being with him. How sweet it is that he'd pick her up everyday for school and went out the night before to get mocha donuts for their ski trip?! Awwwwe!!!

“When someone's been gone a long time, at first you save up all the things you want to tell them. You try to keep track of everything in your head. But it's like trying to hold on to a fistful of sand: all the little bits slip out of your hands, and then you're just clutching air and grit.” 

I think the only problem I had with this book was Margot. She was a little too hypocritical to me and she annoyed me. She appeared to be a little too judgmental and a know it all that I was a bit turned off by her. Lara Jean looked up to her so much and her opinion was all that mattered to Lara Jean so it was a bit sad that their relationship was tearing apart when Lara Jean needed her most. But their ending was still heartwarming and I am really happy for the ending. I'll look forward to what happens in the next coming book because let's face it...we need more.

I need more Peter! I need more Josh and Kitty!

Great cute read and I am glad that I read this in a day during my horrendous reading slump!

Would I recommend? Yes. It's cute and will make you smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment