Tuesday, October 28, 2014

{REVIEW} Opposition by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Opposition
Author: Jennier L. Armentrout
Series: Lux
Book: 5
Rating: ★★★★★

Blurb from Goodreads:
Katy knows the world changed the night the Luxen came.

She can't believe Daemon welcomed his race or stood by as his kind threatened to obliterate every last human and hybrid on Earth. But the lines between good and bad have blurred, and love has become an emotion that could destroy her—could destroy them all.

Daemon will do anything to save those he loves, even if it means betrayal.

They must team with an unlikely enemy if there is any chance of surviving the invasion. But when it quickly becomes impossible to tell friend from foe, and the world is crumbling around them, they may lose everything— even what they cherish most—to ensure the survival of their friends…and mankind.

War has come to Earth. And no matter the outcome, the future will never be the same for those left standing.

My Rating/Thoughts:
“Oh no. Oh, hell to the no to the tenth power.” 

It's always difficult to read a last book in the series because you never know where it's going to leave you. I usually only have two reactions. Either I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT or I am left heartbroken and empty because I expected more. This book has actually left me somewhere in the middle for the first time ever. I loved the ending and I thought the epilogue was very sweet, but everything else was a bit eh for me. Don't get me wrong I still absolutely love this book and it was filled with just as much action, jokes, and love as the rest of the series, but I thought the end with the Luxen was a bit hasty and left me thinking "that's it?"

“The most beautiful people, ones whose beauty is only rivaled by what is inside of them, are the ones who are quietly unaware of it.”

Now Origin left off with all the Luxen coming down on Earth like a bunch of fallen angels and they were quickly assimilating DNA from humans and killing everyone. I was still unsure where this world domination was going because it seemed they were targeting people who had families and public officials. So it was a bit disappointing that the one behind it was was Ethan just wanted revenge on the humans and that was the one and only reason why the Luxen were brought to Earth to complete mass destruction. Which says something because even Daemon and Katy voice their disappointment.

Nonetheless, it was still a fun read. I liked that we had to go to the Arum for help to defeat the Luxen and enemies became frenemies. I enjoyed Archer and Luc more in this book. They quickly became more of my favorites. They were both were just so darn funny that I loved them to pieces!

“Get out of my head.” “I can’t help it,” Archer replied from where he sat on the couch. “You’re broadcasting your thoughts so damn loudly I feel like I need to go sit in the corner and start rocking, whispering Daemon’s name over and over again.”

Now maybe it was because I expected more or maybe it was because the whole book was a little depressing, but I wasn't rushing to finish this. I mean I did come down with the flu and there was no way I was going to be able to power through this and that may have affected by overall reaction to this book, but it was just good to me. Not great.  This book did feel like a post-apocalyptic-dystopia and maybe that's why I felt like it was a tad depressing. There is still a lot of action which is nice. There is a lot of the same sarcasm and funny scenes. And there are a lot of hot steamy scenes with Katy and Daemon. Their relationship has really matured over these novels and it's nice to read because it depicts reality. JLA wrapped up this series nicely and I am so glad I read them. They are forever now one of my favorite series. I love her writing and how she just filled the books with a bunch of pop culture references! She brought up the Avengers, The Walking Dead, and countless Harry Potter references! I loved it and it always made me smile. I also loved how even our characters were thinking logically but then would bring up random stuff all the time. It was so entertaining to read because it was just so relatable!

“Hell, I’d keep her in Bubble Wrap if it weren’t so damn creepy and also inconvenient, considering I had a terrible habit of obsessively popping the damn things until not a single bubble was left.” 

Overall, I still really enjoyed it and I think it was a nice read and a good conclusion to the series. I am so sad that this series is over and I am going to deeply miss Daemon and Katy and Dee and Archer and Luc and just about everyone! These characters quickly became a part of me and I love them so much!!
I think my ranking of the books will have to be:
Obsidian
Origin
Onyx
Opposition
Opal

But that's just my opinion! And yes, I totally recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment